On Apr 1, 2009, at 3:57 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

On 4/1/09 12:25 PM, has said:

ObjC-appscript is almost entirely thread-safe. You'll need to watch
when using methods that rely on the Carbon Process Manager (some
initializers, -isRunning) as the PM APIs don't appear to be thread-
safe itself

Looking through Processes.h, it would appear that all public Process
Manager APIs claim to be thread safe since 10.3.

Huh. Thanks for the heads-up. Very annoying though that Apple put this information in the HTML documentation for some APIs (e.g. Apple Event Manager), yet omit it from others (e.g. Process Manager). Clearly I lack the instinctive Apple developer-fu to always check headers as well.

I guess there can always be bugs...

True; but are they Apple's, mine, or the user's...? :)

(I had a report a while back from a user who couldn't get the - isRunning method to work correctly from a background thread, but haven't investigated in depth due to lack of time. I figured that since Apple docs usually state when something is thread-safe, the PM APIs weren't. Oh well, back to the ol' drawing board now....)

Cheers,

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net