Sorry I did not follow this thread as I thought it was a clear malloc/ free error.

size_t fread(void * restrict ptr, size_t size, size_t nmemb, FILE * restrict stream);

Where is your ptr coming from?
If you comment out fread but rthe just crash somewhere else I’d bet your ptr or stream is garbage.
Please post the allocation/deallocation code around the fread.

        atze