On Apr 12, 2009, at 8:55 PM, Greg Guerin wrote:

Bill Janssen wrote:

I was afraid of that...  Is there an easy way to do that from the
command line given its PID?

Use the osascript command.

Form a query using a 'whose' clause to select the process ID. I forget what the exact wording is, or whether to ask Finder or System Events, so you'll have to experiment. To start, open the scripting dictionary of System Events and under its Processes Suite, choose the 'process' class and find its 'unix id' property. That's the thing you need to use in a 'whose' clause.

Then tell that application to quit.

This works to quit an app with PID 902:

tell app "System Events" to set x to file of first process whose unix id is 902
tell app (POSIX path of x) to quit

I'm no AppleScript expert, so there's probably a briefer or more elegant way to do it.

Hmm, now what did this have to do with Cocoa?