The example in the docs say:

"CoreAnimationdoesn'tprovideameansforactuallydisplayinglayersinawindow
, theymustbehostedby
aview. Whenpairedwithaview, theviewmustprovideevent- handlingfortheunderlyinglayers, whilethe
layersprovidedisplayofthecontent."

In the sample code, here is the example given to put a layer into a view:

[theView setLayer: theRootLayer];
[theView setWantsLayer:YES];

Is this what you mean by a "layer-hosted view"? If so, does that mean that theRootLayer is mine to manage as I wish?

Currently, I am just modifying the layer given to the view after I call -setWantsLayer on it. How is this layer different from theRootLayer in the example?

Thanks,

Mike