If it helps, the reason for Apple only supporting searching of persistent properties is for performance. If you're using the SQLite store for example, the predicate is not evaluated against the in- memory objects, but against the individual bits of data in the SQLite table. Of course, why Apple couldn't have then added automatic support for in-memory matching as the second step I don't know…