Thanks Alastair.

On Apr 22, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Alastair Houghton wrote:

On 22 Apr 2009, at 10:31, rajesh wrote:

Application we are currently working supports file drag from desktop.... It typically finds what type of file it is and then processes it accordingly.

we don't want to solely  depend on file extension.
How can file Mime Type help us..

We have listed few mime types which we support and mapped them accordingly for processing. How can one retrieve the Mime type for a particular file? tried NSFileHandle and NSWorkSpace but of no help , (even googled around for hints , may be my search strings aren't effective )

OS X doesn't rely on MIME types, for a variety of reasons.

You want to be using UTIs instead.  Take a look here:

 <http://developer.apple.com/macosx/uniformtypeidentifiers.html>

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--