Trygve Inda wrote:

(b) elapsed time since startup

Boot-time is available from sysctl, name "kern.boottime". There's also a function, whose name I forget, that returns microseconds since startup. I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional ways to get this info.

My goal is to delay some intense processing until the system is fully up and running as it seems to do a lot of housekeeping at startup. Is there also a
way to determine some sort of overall system activity?

If the user has started your program to do something, then why is your program trying to second-guess the OS's scheduler? Maybe you should rely on the scheduler to allocate resources, instead of second- guessing what a suitable level of inactivity is.

It may be enough for me if I can just delay a few things until 1 minute
after login.

What is this for: A user-launched app? An auto-launched app? A daemon/agent?

Again, is the user expecting your program to do something immediately, or is the user aware that the action may be delayed?

  -- GG