You shouldn't always show a log-in panel in your application either; Mac OS X has the Keychain for secure storage of user credentials, you should only ask the user to log in to your service if there's no stored credential or they've done something like reset their password.

And instead of checking network connectivity, your application should just try to use the network and fail gracefully when it's not available. After all, it could go away between when you check and actually start using it, or while you're using it - at that point, what does checking get you?

  -- Chris