Hi Daniel,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Michael Ash <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to use the same back-end as window compositing, why not
> use actual window compositing? Create a borderless NSWindow, make it a
> child window, and position it appropriately.

In my opinion, you're better off having a view to display the overlays
if you can get it to work. I've had difficulties  getting child
windows to work well: problems with flickering when resizing windows
(due to the display of the windows not being automatically
synchronised) and there's also a small timing window where you can
place a child window in the wrong place (you have to position child
windows with absolute screen coordinates but the Window Server could
move the parent whilst you're doing that).

These problems aren't insurmountable although to solve the second
problem I had to use an undocumented API call. I had to use an overlay
window because I was overlaying an OpenGL window and it needed to work
pre Leopard.

One other minor point: child windows are hidden in the animation that
you get when you minimise the window although I haven't checked to see
if it's something I'm doing wrong; it's just something I noticed.

Regards,

Chris