On Apr 25, 2009, at 8:03 PM, Erg Consultant wrote:

On Apr 25, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Stephen J. Butler wrote:

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Erg Consultant
<erg_consult...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I was using CFURLGetFSRef passing in the NSString which works fine as long as the path contains no special chars. If it does, CFURLGetFSRef returns nil.

CFURLGetFSRef is great if what you have originally is a CF/NSURL. But
if you just have an NSString, you might as well use FSPathMakeRef with
[aString fileSystemRepresentation]. No reason to create an
intermediary NSURL.

When I do that, the conversion from NSString to const UInt8 * path mangles the special characters in the path.

What do you mean mangles? I suspect you're misinterpreting "encodes" as mangles. Asking a file path string for its - fileSystemRepresentation is asking it to encode the string into the form expected by various APIs which take file paths in C strings (of 8- bit characters). Of course this won't look like the original Unicode string contents; Unicode can't fit into 8-bit characters without being encoded somehow.

But the question is, why do you care? Did FSPathMakeRef work, when passed such a string? It should, which is all you're interested in.

Regards,
Ken