Thanks Alastair and Graham for responding, and apologies for the delay in
following up.

I think that, at best, the documentation is ambiguous.  It would be clearer
specifically saying "If no value was set explicitly for the receiver, this
method [lineWidth] returns the default line width ->at the time the receiver
was created<-"  I may file a RADR on that.

It is further confusing because the actual effect of the lineWidth property
is dependent on the view in which the drawing takes place -- that is, a line
width of "1.0" in one view will not necessarily appear the same width in a
separate view that has a different dot-pitch, pixel ratio, etc.