Le 29 avr. 09 à 12:39, Alastair Houghton a écrit :

On 29 Apr 2009, at 11:35, Jean-Daniel Dupas wrote:

Le 29 avr. 09 à 12:25, Alastair Houghton a écrit :

Just for the record, with gcc-llvm, you can no longer assume that .o files are Mach-O object files. When you use Link-Time-Optimization (or -O4) with llvm-gcc (or clang), it produces llvm bytecode (even if the output extension remain .o)

That's a good point. They still aren't COFF though, and you can still link Mach-O objects with the LLVM bitcode. Also, I haven't looked but it wouldn't surprise me to find that the .o files still had a Mach-O wrapper around the bitcode itself.

In fact, they don't.
To handle these files, 'ld' try to load libLTO.dylib which works with llvm bytecode files directly. You can even manipulate them using llvm tools (you can use llvm-dis on such .o file to get the corresponding llvm assembly for example).