On May 7, 2009, at 1:39 AM, Caleb Strockbine wrote:

A. each observable object class exports a list of properties that it
thinks may be of interest to an observer. This is just an array of
strings (property names) returned by a class method.

B. A utility method iterates over that list and registers a nominated
observer against each one. There is also a complementary de-observing
method.

C. The observer calls the utility method on the child passing itself
as an observer.

Isn't that pretty much what +keyPathsForValuesAffectingValueForKey: is for? The parent object could observe a single property, such as 'modified', and any children would implement either +keyPathsForValuesAffectingValueForKey: or +keyPathsForValuesAffectingModified to return the set of the properties that would cause a child to be treated as modified. No utility method needed -- KVO does it for you.

Not exactly.

keyPathsForValuesAffectingValueForKey: is closer to my solution to override setValue:forKey[Path]: in the child object in order to trigger a change in an "isModified" key. There are two differences between mine and kPFVAVFK though:

1) mine is less code when observing all key changes (otherwise it's a bit more)

2) when overriding setValue:forKey: you have a place to set the BOOL mIsModified instance variable to YES, so that the - (BOOL)isModified method returns the right value. kPFVAVFK triggers a willChange/ didChange, but there's no hook for you to actually *make* the change (simply).

Graham's idea notifies the parent of any change in the child without having to use an "isModified" key, which is a bit cleaner. I think an even better solution would be to merge Mike Ash's dedicated KV observer object with the general idea of Graham's. I'm going to have to fiddle a bit.

--
Seth Willits