I'm making an app to adjust the opacity of the menu bar in Leopard.

I am aware of the environment variables you can set within the com.apple.WindowServer.plist file but I do not like this method for two reasons:

1) You must restart the computer
2) If something goes wrong, it can render the machine unbootable

The Translucent Menu Bar option in the Desktop & Screen Saver pref pane seems to use a different method that does not write to the plist and happens instantly without having to restart any processes. It seems to be communicating with the Window Server process directly. Does anyone know how this is being achieved?

Thanks,
Mark.