Thank you for your reply. I was using 10.5.5 at the time. I wasn't
running any extra threads at the time. But I've fiddled with the build
settings and updated to 10.5.6 and since then the problem hasn't
recurred. I'm not sure which one did the trick. As far as I know this
only affected my app, when it was running 64bit.

So problem solved, but I'm not sure how or why.