2009/5/11 Dragan Milić <mi...@mac.com>:
> So, I assume creating attributed strings is not thread safe, but I don't
> remember anything like that stated in the documentation. In my opinion, that
> looks like a bug.

It is thread safe... if you stick to the Foundation methods. The
method you're trying to use, however, is part of the AppKit additions.
Hence the non-thread safeness.

One way to do this might be to spawn a helper app that accepts data
somehow (mach ports might be fastest using vm copy-on-write techniques
IIRC, but harder to implement), render on that process's main thread,
and then pass the data back (NSAttributedString supports NSCoding).

But then you're getting into all the caveats about background
processes, window server connections, and fast user switching.
However, in your case, if the background process dies for whatever
reason, who cares, right?