> On Sun, 2009/05/17, Keith Blount <keithblo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Keith Blount <keithblo...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: File formats for multi-doc app: packages, single files or zipped
> alternatives
> To: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
> Date: Sunday, 2009 May 17, 12:20
> I’m working on version 2 of my software at the moment,
> and in so doing and am looking into the possibility
> of a better file format and was wondering if I am
> missing something. Currently, my program uses a
> file package format...

> However, there are some issues with the package format,
> chief among them synchronisation; much synchronisation
> software just doesn’t play nicely with file packages,
> and some users not au fait with the package format
> have had files corrupted by synchronisation software.
> They have problems e-mailing files to each other (not
> all e-mail software allows them as attachments because
> they are interpreted as folders), sharing them across
> networks and suchlike too...

I've been pondering this same issue, and anticipate
giving the user the ability to extract a subset of
the, uh, package-base for export into a new package.
As far as e-mailing as a monolithic unit, you could
give them the option to do make it a tarball or zip
it as part of the saving operation (or, at first,
do that as a separate operation, themselves).
For now, my thinking was to let them choose whether
to tar or zip and fire off a process.

Synchronization, in and of itself, has some quirks that
anyone using it must consider.