From: Andreas Grosam <agro...@onlinehome.de>
To: Cocoa-Dev List <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
Sent: Monday, 18 May, 2009 10:47:44 PM
Subject: Re: Invoice program made in Objective c/Cocoa

On May 18, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Michael Ash wrote:

> Perhaps you should have taken more than a first glance. For example, here:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CoreData/Articles/cdBasics.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001650
>
> "Core Data is not a relational database or a relational database
> management system (RDBMS)."
This is unrelated to the problem. Mike, I think you are using a straw man
argument - or you totally misunderstood me.

> Why would you think I had ever designed a database application or
> framework? All I know is, CoreData is *not* a database framework, so
> your whining about how it fails some fundamental requirement for
> database frameworks makes no sense.
I think you misunderstood me. Core Data could be a very useful *part* of a
database application framework. But it is not, because it apparently lacks the
ability to interface to other related parts of a database application framework
(ORM, data access layer, storage management) - at least this is what I conclude
from this discussion.

Again, to make this clear: I don't claim that Core Data should implement all
these layers of a database application framework  (or even a RDBMS). And
honestly, it should not! Rather it should provide a means to interface with
them.

And using your car example: having tires is certainly useful. But they become
even more useful if you can mount them on your car. ;)

Andreas

This email sent to idou...@yahoo.com

      Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter
now.http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2x2ZmNpBF9zAzIwMjM2MTY2MTMEdG1fZG1lY2gDVGV4dCBMaW5rBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMzk3NwR0bV9uZXQDWWFob28hBHRtX3BvcwN0YWdsaW5lBHRtX3BwdHkDYXVueg--/SIG=14600t3ni/**http%3A//au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline/creativeholidays/*http%3A//au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/%3Fp1=other%26p2=au%26p3=mailtagline