On 21 May 2009, at 13:36:34, Ashish Tiwari wrote:

Hi All,

I want to conditionally disable some items of my application menu bar for example "Format", "Insert" etc, so that user can not click on it and can not see its submenu.
When i do following:
[[[NSApp mainMenu] itemWithTitle:@"Insert"] setEnabled:NO];

Menu item "Insert" in menu bar still appears enabled but all items in its submenu get disabled. Basically my purpose is solved as user can not select any of sub menu items but i want "Insert" itself to be disabled so that user can not even see its submenu.
Is it possible in Mac (Windows it can be done)?
If yes,  then How can i do so.

Why?

It is explicitly against the Apple Human Interface Guidelines to prevent a user from seeing submenus, even if all of the items in the menu are disabled. Why go against it?

And I don't believe it can be done for menu bar items. It would look terrible, too.