On 2009 May 22, at 13:54, Ben Trumbull wrote:

Uhm, No. %@ is the vararg specifier for an NSObject. - stringWithFormat: turns that into a string. Because - stringWithFormat: turns everything into a string. Kinda the point.

-predicateWithFormat: does NOT call -description randomly. Predicates are trees of first class objects, like an AST for a query. It does not turn objects into their textual representation before comparison.

Ah, I'd forgotten that and incorrectly jumped to that conclusion when I saw that my data was being sent -UTF8String.

Result: It worked fine with the XML store (Why??).  But when I switch
to the SQLite store, it crashes when Core Data sends a -UTF8String
message to the data object -- because it's expecting a damned
description string. Took me several hours before I finally read Ben's
post very carefully and figured out why it was doing that.

This bug was fixed in 10.5.7

Indeed, I was using 10.5.6 and coincidentally just updated this afternoon. THANKS for the info -- that would have REALLY confused me had I seen that it had suddenly fixed itself.