On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Michael Ash <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:
> /tmp has a special permissions bit set called the sticky bit. When set
> on directories, the sticky bit modifies the standard UNIX permissions
> model and makes it so that the directory's contents can only be
> deleted or renamed by the owner of the item in question, of the
> directory, or root. In other words, if I write to /tmp/xyz and then
> you try to rm /tmp/xyz, your attempt will fail. Give it a try and see.

Believe it or not, I did before I replied to the thread.  Except this
is what I did:

# cd /tmp
# touch foo
# sudo -s
# su nobody
# rm foo

However, that wasn't what actually happened.  Had I bothered to run
`whoami`, I would have seen this:

# cd /tmp
# touch foo
# whoami
kyle
# sudo -s
# whoami
root
# su nobody
# whoami
root
# rm foo

What I failed to realize is that su will by default execute the user's
specified shell (which is /usr/bin/false for nobody).  You have to
provide -m to override this behavior, and if you do that, it fails.

--Kyle Sluder