> On Tue, 2009/05/26, Volker in Lists <volker_li...@ecoobs.de> wrote:
> From: Volker in Lists <volker_li...@ecoobs.de>
> Subject: Re: what am I missing with NSString ?
> To: "vinai" <for_use...@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
> Date: Tuesday, 2009 May 26, 08:41
> from the code listed I cannot tell if you alloc'ed memory
> for your NSString at all?
>
> What is the goal you try to achieve? If you just want to
> store a single file path... with a global NSString do as
> along the lines of:
>
> [rawFileName release];
> rawFileName = [[NSString alloc] initWithString:[[files
> objectAtIndex:i] stringByStandardizingPath]]];

The NSString reference suggests that it will return an
object.  Since it's an instance method and not a class
method, this suggests that an alloced string must be
the receiver.

"Returns an NSString object initialized by copying
 the characters from another given string.
- (id)initWithString:(NSString *)aString
"

OTOH, stringWithString is a class method, suggesting
that it must be sent to NSString and it will take
care of the alloc:

"Returns a string created by copying the characters
 from another given string.
+ (id)stringWithString:(NSString *)aString
"