I have a core data (doc-based) app in which one of the entities includes a custom object as a persistent attribute. The custom object class implements NSCoding, and these objects are saved to the core data store with no problem (they are read back correctly etc). Instance variables of the custom object are exposed in the user interface, and can be edited by the user.

The problem I have is that changes to instance variables of these custom objects are not reported to the managed object context, so the core data document is not flagged as dirty and, even if I force a save by adding an entity and invoking save, the modified custom object is not saved (if I quit and reload the old ivar values are loaded).

None of this is terribly surprising, since I'm going outside the core data world with these custom objects. However I expect there must be a way to tell the managed object context it's dirty when a custom object attribute has been modified. I've been reviewing the documentation, but it's not obvious what the preferred/cleanest way would be...

I would be most grateful for any suggestions on how to approach this.

Regards,

Rick