I am periodically bitten by EXC_BAD_ACCESS memory problems that are sometimes hard to find. One that just occurred was that I was mistakenly returning an un-initialized local variable from a method (i.e.

NSObject myObject;

... some if-statements

return myObject;  // I should have at least set myObject = nil above.

Is there a way to tune xCode so that it warns you of these types of potential problems (and more)? The Java development environment I've been using for the past several years (Jetbrains IDEA) has unbelievably fantastic code-editing and compile-time warning systems that allow you to show a myriad of situations as warnings (some are user definable). Is there a way to do this in xCode, or at least set some flags to get more verbose warnings (especially those that can prevent "dumb" mistakes)?

Thank You,
- Eric