Turns out I did have an spurious NSNotificationCenter registration in a loaded view that was causing the crash. Thank you for your help Michael!

On Jun 1, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Kevin Ross wrote:

I looked at the msgSends dump of everything after setWantsLayer, and at the end it looks like a NSAutoreleasePool is being created right before a CAContext is initialized. It then throws an exception right after NSCFString NSCFString copyWithZone:.

+ NSAutoreleasePool NSObject alloc
+ NSAutoreleasePool NSAutoreleasePool allocWithZone:
+ NSAutoreleasePool NSObject self
- NSAutoreleasePool NSAutoreleasePool init
- NSAutoreleasePool NSAutoreleasePool initWithCapacity:
- NSAutoreleasePool NSObject class
+ NSAutoreleasePool NSObject self
+ CAContext NSObject initialize
+ CAContext CAContext localContext
+ CAContext CAContext localContextWithOptions:
+ CAContextImpl CAContextImpl initialize
+ CAContextImpl NSObject alloc
+ CAContextImpl NSObject allocWithZone:
- CAContextImpl CAContextImpl initWithOptions:
- CAContext NSObject init
+ NSConcreteNotification NSConcreteNotification newTempNotificationWithName:object:userInfo:
- NSCFString NSCFString copyWithZone:

Is there a way using instruments or dtrace to find out what objects are being passed to newTempNotificationWithName:object:userInfo?

Thank you for your time,

Kevin