Let me explain what I'm trying to do by referring to iTunes.

Imagine that iTunes has only one underlying NSArrayController and only one
table view in the UI.

And image that when you click on a smart playlist, all that happens is that new
fetch predicate is set for the underlying array controller (and column layout &
sorting of the table view changes).

This results in the problem of the table displaying BEFORE the fetch predicate
actually executes (in the next runloop iteration). This results in the user
visually seeing on screen the fetch results changing (which I don't want). What
I would have wanted to do is to, perhaps, hide the table view for a brief
moment while the fetching completes. I can easily hide it within the
outlineViewSelectionIsChanging: delegate method. But, as we know by now, there
is no way to know when to unhide the table view again; in other words, no way
to know when the fetching with the new fetch predicate completes.

How would you get around this problem?