On Jun 4, 2009, at 8:46 PM, Jonathan Hess wrote:

On Jun 4, 2009, at 6:28 AM, Eric Slosser wrote:

(Sorry if this is OT, I couldn't find a better apple-hosted list...)

How does one use AppleGlot and XIBs?

I have an app, "My.app", that was previously localized. I'm working on version 2.0.

My app is starting to use XIB files. These get compiled into NIBs in My.app.

The AppleGlot docs seem to say I should put My.app 2.0 into _NewBase, and My.app 1.0 into _OldLoc.

When I do that, the nibs that came from xibs are ignored (my.app.wg doesn't contain any of the strings from those nibs). If I put NewDialog.xib into my.app, I see its strings in the .wg.

It seems like I be putting the source code form of the "<language>.lproj" folders into _OldBase, but none of the docs say that.

Can someone point me at a discussion of how to use AppleGlot in the presence of XIB files?

And (if it's not covered by default): What to do when the previous shipped app had a non-compiled Foo.nib, and the about-to-ship app has Foo.xib in the souces, and thus a compiled Foo.nib in the built app.

Hey Eric -

I believe the file names in _OldBase, _NewBase, and _OldLoc need to match. It sounds like your files in _OldBase and _OldLoc are probably .nib files, but you're files in _NewBase are .xib files.

You can upgrade the files in _OldBase and _OldLoc to .xib files with something like this:

cd _OldLoc
find . -name "*.nib" -type d -exec ibtool --upgrade {} \;
cd _OldBase
find . -name "*.nib" -type d -exec ibtool --upgrade {} \;

Thanks for the suggestion, Jon. All the places have .nib files, but the ones in _Newbase are compiled .nibs.

But as yours is the best suggestion I got, I'll try upgrading the nibs in _OldBase and _OldLoc to .xibs and copying .xibs into the built product in _Newbase.