From: M Pulis <tooth...@fastq.com>
To: Erg Consultant <erg_consult...@yahoo.com>
Cc: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:38:04 PM
Subject: Re: [NSTask] -launch return

On Jun 9, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Erg Consultant wrote:

> I find it absolutely appalling on a modern OS that I should have to write a
> 3rd PPC process and launch it just to get the API to behave as documented.
>
> Erg

Given what Rosetta allows us to do, I find it absolutely a miracle of great
engineering unmatched in the Windows world.

Having said that, wiping the ring from my nose and regaining self-esteem,
consider filing a bug report to Apple, "function != documentation".  Be sure to
present a business case for changing the function vs noting the document.

Until then, an exit(0) app would work, or, better:

Since Rosetta is key to your product, make sure that the environment supports
your child. Your app should determine if and insure that Rosetta is running
(you do check for system features to be available, yes?). The idea is defensive
programming.

Newton didn't trust the Apple, he trusted gravity.... (ok, that's a bit dumb,
but it seemed to fit... :-))

You could ask Apple DTS via a paid support consultation, I am sure they have
the best answer. I would trust Apple DTS; these guys are on the front line and
know who to get answers from. Your product sounds sophisticated enough that it
could be worth a consultation.

good luck!

gary