On Jun 11, 2009, at 11:55 AM, Sidney San Mart?n wrote:

That'll work in most cases, but as discussed in
http://lists.apple.com/archives/carbon-dev/2007/Nov/msg00642.html
anything that Preview can open will just return Preview Document for that call.

I just double-checked - I have an app that uses LSCopyKindStringForRef extensively and knew I'd never seen this problem under any version of Leopard. However the app doesn't use LSCopyKindStringForTypeInfo at all.

Under 10.5.7 here, LSCopyKindStringForRef does work fine for files which can be opened by Preview. LSCopyKindStringForTypeInfo does incorrectly return "Preview Document" for .jpg, .pdf, etc, as noted in the post you mentioned.

Since the OP has the file extension, presumably (hopefully) they have or can get paths and FSRefs and could work around the issue with LSCopyKindStringForRef.