Ross,

Thanks for your comments.

I agree the autocomplete popup looks curiously unpolished compared to other system popup menus.

I've implemented the approach you suggest, and can populate an NSPopuButton menu with my completion candidates. This works well up until the user types another character expecting to see the list adjust itself to the new match. However since we have popped up the button's menu ( using performClickWithFrame:inView: ), the menu receives the key events, not the search field.

I am guessing there is a way to display the menu while keeping the focus on the search field, but I have not been able to figure out from the docs or the list how achieve this.

Is there a recommended way to display a menu while still keeping key events flowing to the search field?

Thanks,
Dave Robertson