On Jun 12, 2009, at 00:27, Michael Ash wrote:

Singleton-ness is a property of the API, not the
implementation. If the API provides a single instance which you use,
then it's a singleton. Enforcing that single instance is entirely up
to the implementation of the API. It's not a necessary feature of a
singleton, and it's not even necessarily a good feature to have.

Perhaps so. I'm not inclined to insist on my perspective if you feel it misrepresents the situation enough to comment on it.

I'll point out, though, that there is no inherent singleness in Brad's situation (that is, barring information about the application design that's not been part of the discussion, there's no obvious reason why he can't choose to have multiple main window controllers) *beyond* the proposed decision to implement [MainWindowController sharedWindowController]. That proposal was a pragmatic solution to a design problem that didn't really involve the cardinality of main window controllers. That last point is really the point I was trying to make.