Mostly listening to people going, hey I wish this was easier or if this program I always use had xyz and did abc better. Also ideas from yourself when you find something you need to make your life easier. I'm sure many developers have made their own various mini-tools to do random things for them and some don't realize other people might find them useful too. Several of my public projects started as stuff I made for myself and later realized with some polish could be something good for the public.