On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Rick C.<jo_p...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> my project is fairly small and it monitors via notification certain
> directories for changes.  ideally the app would always run so that it would
> always monitor.  but i would like to make it so the icon could be hidden and
> my understanding is that LSUIElement always hides the menubar as well which
> won't work for me (i would at least like the menubar to show along with the
> main window if the finder icon is clicked).  so if the only solution is to
> make some kind of separate background process (daemon or whatever) can
> someone point me in the right direction as to what process might work for me?
>  again if only i can just run the app itself i would but i would like to have
> this "hidden" mode as a feature...

While you have a menu bar, you will have a Dock icon. That's just how it works.

As such, I suggest reworking your design to match this restriction.

The most obvious way to do this would be to just have two
applications. One is an LSUIElement which does the monitoring and any
UI type stuff that's done during that, and the other is a regular
application which talks to it.

Another way is to have one application, LSUIElement, and use
TransformProcessType to turn it into a "real" application on demand.
There are some bugs with this on Leopard, search the list archives for
more information, but I believe it can be made to work.

Mike