Hi,

Sorry for being over a week late to this thread, but I'm the guy who was trying
to get hidden text to work before, in the thread mentioned earlier (Martin
kindly pointed me in this direction). I'm not sure why the test code archives
on my site weren't decompressing, but they probably just got corrupted when I
moved between servers earlier in the year. Anyway, for what it's worth, I have
re-uploaded the code I had for this here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/misc/HiddenTextArchives.zip

This zip file contains several zip files of different stages of the test
project, as I haven't had chance to go through them, and a quick glance
suggests that you may need to hook up a couple of actions in IB to be able to
test them properly (not sure how they became unhooked).

To be honest I abandoned trying to hide glyphs at all; I wanted to do it to
hide inline comments and footnotes in my app, the same as "hidden text" works
in Word, but as far as I can see the OS X text system just isn't built for
this. Although the code in those archives works to an extent, exceptions still
get thrown in certain circumstances because the text system just expects
certain things to be there and there seems to be no way to convince it
otherwise. I used one of my technical support tickets on this, and had some
excellent help from Aki Inoue and another Apple developer, and the methods in
the zipped projects are mostly Aki's (so thanks to them for going the extra
mile in trying to help me!). But in the end, even they couldn't help me find a
suitable non-crashing, non-exception-throwing solution for this, and I figured
that if even the OS X text gurus at Apple couldn't come up with a solution,
then I had little chance of finding one on my own.
 So if you do make any progress with it, I'd love to know how you get on. (If
you would like to see any of the correspondence on this with the various
technical issues invovled, just e-mail me off-list and I can dig it out for
you.)

All the best,
Keith