Hello,

I have come across what seems to be a weird situation and can't really think of a good solution. I'm relatively new to Cocoa so its probably just a simple misunderstanding.

I have a subclass of NSViewController that also acts as the delegate for the NSTableView that it controls. This tableview is loaded into my main window. I want to be able to hide some columns in the tableview and as a result, the number of rows in the tableview will vary according to numColumns. ie:

-(int)numberOfRowsInTableView:(NSTableView *)tableView{

        return myDataSize/numColumns;
}

Now, I haven't got around to actually varying the number of columns in the table yet, but I do have a property 'numColumns' that I set to a reasonable value in awakeFromNib:

- (void)awakeFromNib{

        numColumns = 8;
}

Unfortunately my numberOfRowsInTableView is being called 'before' awakeFromNib, so initially numColumns = 0 and I get an error (myDataSize/numColumns will be infinite).

I always thought awakeFromNib would get called first. But in this case not so. So can anyone suggest why, and a workaround?

thanks!

Peter