I actually don;t agree that the system keeping NSFonts around to use them is
non-deterministic. The system will get rid of them when it is done with them.
that is a perfectly predictable activity. Maybe I don't know what all the
machinery is doing or what all the input is that goes into the machinery, but a
given set of circumstances will cause the same result each time.

However, when you have an extra background process controlling the system
according to the set of rules you don't control, that is certainly a situation
where events will be happening in different sequences no matter that input you
feed in. that can cause problems you have to work around. Yes, I'm sure people
can come up with an endless list of background processes that drive my app that
I don't control. But, adding one more unknown to the list that I can do without
quite easily isn't useful.

my statement is that I'd rather use shared_ptr & weak_ptr. I'll know exactly
what my system is doing in a way that is as predictable as possible yet is
completely safe and reliable....and maintainable.