Hi,

I'm new to Mac programming (and software engineering in general), so I
apologize in advance if my terminology is wrong.

I'm currently developing a plug-in (a Print Dialog Extension to be
exact) and wanted to make sure only one instance of the plug-in is
allowed to be in "editing mode" for information that will be saved on a
preference file.  Since the plug-in can be loaded by different
applications, I'm assuming using distributed objects makes the most
sense to allow the plug-in instances to be aware of each other (on a
single system).

For my implementation, I was going to vend a helper tool that's
responsible for saving information on the preference file.  Ideally, I
want only one instance of the helper tool to exist and have it shared
across multiple plug-ins.  The helper tool should only be destroyed if
there are no plug-ins loaded on the machine.  I was planning to have the
helper tool also maintain the exclusive "editing mode" among the
instances.

To achieve this structure, I need a way for the helper tool to hang
around until all instances of the plug-in are destroyed.

Thanks,

Christopher