On Jun 30, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Trygve Inda wrote:

NSString*      myDateFormat = @"%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y";
NSDate*        myDate = nil;
// myDateString is "Tue Jun 30 15:53:24 UTC 2009"
myFormatter = [[NSDateFormatter alloc] initWithDateFormat:imageDateFormat
allowNaturalLanguage:NO];
myDate = [myFormatter dateFromString:myDateString];
This works on my English OS, but if I set the Number format to German,
myDate is nil. Why?

It's not clear what you mean by setting the Number format. What value are you setting and where?

If I am supplying the string format, and the string is correct, how do I fix
it? Is it because "Tue" is English?

Almost certainly -- "Tue" is not a German abbreviation...

How can I force it to parse in English as my string will always be English?

Do you need to support pre-10.4 systems?
You are strongly encouraged to adopt the 10.4+ behaviour for formatters. You can then easily set a specific locale for the formatter. See <http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/DataFormatting/Articles/dfDateFormatting10_4.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002369 > (note in particular the references to the Unicode string format standards).

mmalc