Are there events that I can observe that indicate when the screen lock has activated/deactivated? I have a background agent that should really be disabled when the screen is locked...

Responding to my own post, in hopes that it may help others who find themselves hunting for how to do detect the activation/deactivation of the screen lock and/or screensaver...

The following notifications are posted to the default distributed notification center for events related to the screen lock and screen saver:

com.apple.screenIsLocked
com.apple.screenIsUnlocked

com.apple.screensaver.didstart
com.apple.screensaver.willstop
com.apple.screensaver.didstop

Getting these events is then a simple matter of registering to observe them via NSDistributedNotificationCenter. I found them by adding an observer for *all* distributed events, and then sorting through the received notification names after activating/deactivating the screen lock.

I haven't found declarations for these events in a header anywhere, and I'm not certain that they're part of any published API, but the events are observable, at least in Leopard.

--
Carl Harris
Virginia Tech