On Jul 3, 2009, at 1:20 PM, Greg Guerin wrote:

> [useful comments excised, thank you very much]

I will try lseek and write at the end.

> Exactly what problem is solved by initially writing multiple
> gigabytes of zeros to disk?

As for what I am doing, I have a parallel Scheme system (Wraith
Scheme, see the "Software" page of my web site, URL in the .sig),
and I use mmap to obtain a shared Scheme main memory.  By
"parallel", I mean separate Unix processes, not threads.  I am
setting things up so that a user who wishes to do so can choose
a memory size large enough to drag the application to a screeching
halt from swapping, and the way to do that seems to be for one
process to create a file of the desired size, then have that
process and all the others mmap it.  I am not saying that it is
wise to choose such a large Scheme main memory, but some users
may want to do it.

If there is a better way, I would love to hear about it; I am
by no means an mmap wizard.

--  Jay Reynolds Freeman