On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:15 PM, colo wrote:

I am seeking a bare bones beginner source or tutorial for building
painting apps on the iphone.

A "bare bones beginner" source or tutorial is simply not possible for an application of this nature. I'm unfamiliar with the iPhone example code offerings but I know that the Sketch example for the Mac environment will give you what you need to create a drawing application, but it is by no means "bare bones" or "beginner", nor can it possibly be. Even the TextEdit example is too complex a problem (encodings, doc types, pagination, and many other things).

What you need, if you're a complete Cocoa beginner, is to spend the time with the introductory material from Apple, a good book, and time.

If you're already familiar with Cocoa apps and you're actually only asking for painting-related stuff, then the Sketch example code is where it's at.

So, I must make my own. :D

... or you could try picking your favorite one and submitting a feature request to the developer. Few complete applications are so easy it's worth writing your own just to add one feature.

--
I.S.