I am using Core Data to create a material database to be used for tracking engineering materials. Each material has a bunch of different material properties (modulus, poison's ratio, failure and yield strength, ect). Depending on the type of material (anisotropic, orthotropic, isotropic, composite, ect) the material might have 1 of each of these properties (for an isotropic material), or it might have up to 9 (for an orthotropic material). I would also like to simplify my code, by say looping over a particular properties (where appropriate).

The question is it better to store these properties as attributes of a material managed object, for example for young's modulus (modulus_1, modulus_2... ect) or is it better to create a relationship-to-many that references a managed object that has attributes of a value and number.

What would be ideal is a managed object that could manage arrays of data as eventually these properties will have to be transferred to c array style arrays for various calculations.

I realize this questioning is kind of open ended, but I'm hoping someone might have some experience with this kind of problem and could point me in the right direction

Benjamin Guest
Goleta, CA