On 07/07/2009, at 1:20 PM, Brian Hughes wrote:

Thanks for your help. You were right it is acting like an unintialized local variable. However when I initialize returnValue to 0 at the beginning of the method.
int returnValue = 0;
I got some new bizarre behavior. In Interface Builder the tableView is set to show 9 rows.

Bear in mind that only your data source actually sets the number of rows. The number of rows apparently visible in IB is just how it is displayed - there are 0 rows, not 9.

Now, with returnValue initialized to 0, when I run the application the tableView no longer has a zillion extra rows which is good. Rather it only has 9.

No, it has 0.

No vertical scroll to see the other 13 rows of data. Now the tableView is behaving as if I have zero rows.

Because it does have 0 rows.

Yet clearly later in the method returnValue is set to 22 via count method applied to my array. In my debugger and in my NSLogs returnValue is 22.

But you are only logging the case where it does return 22, so what would you expect? Instead, try moving the NSLog to log the *actual* return value just before you return it. I bet you will see plenty of 0s going out.

If at the beginning of the method I initailize returnValue to 22 all looks as expected. Also if at the end of the method I statically set returnValue to 22 all is well. It just doesn't seem to work if I set returnValue by using: returnValue = [playersArray count]; (debugger and NSLog confirm that returnValue is set to 22)
I don't understand why?

Because clearly there are two main pathways through this code but you're only logging one of them. The other pathway is what's causing the problem but isn't being logged, so you are not "seeing" its effects.

Also, in the debugger you can set a conditional breakpoint at the last line on returnValue == 0. When it breaks, look at <aTableView> - it will be something other than the two you're expecting. Debug accordingly.

--Graham