On Jul 12, 2009, at 15:50, Konrad Windszus wrote:

If I set an NSError in the method readFromURL of my NSDocument, I am not able to overwrite the NSLocalizedDescriptionKey.

Unfortunately only the strings of the keys NSLocalizedFailureReasonErrorKey and NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestionErrorKey are displayed together with a standard error text. My own localizedDescription ("Description") is not displayed. Instead I got the standard error text "The document <xyz> could not be opened. FailureReason RecoverySuggestion". Is this a bug, that the string with the key NSLocalizedDescriptionKey is always overwritten before displayed or not displayed at all, if set in readFromURL or is this feature somewhere documented? I could not find anything regarding this at apple.

No, the NSError object you create is just fine, but NSDocumentController (which causes the error alert to be displayed) *always* makes the alert say that the document could not be opened.

If you want to display your own description, you need to display your own alert before returning from readFromURL:... (using [NSApp presentError:], usually), then return an error with domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain and code=NSUserCancelledError, to suppress NSDocumentController's alert.