Here's some reference material that I think helps explain this. It sounds like you're new to Cocoa, so a beginning Cocoa book might be helpful as well. I liked the Hillegass book, but shop around for one that fits your style.

awakeFromNib:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/LoadingResources/CocoaNibs/CocoaNibs.html#/ /apple_ref/doc/uid/10000051i-CH4-SW18

init:
Check the documentation for NSObject. It explains it pretty well.

John