Hello all,

For various reasons I'd like to implement a method similar in function to NSString's -sizeWithFont: (UIKit addition). The difference is it takes a CGFontRef. Here's a rough idea of the code (a slight adaptation of Timothy Ritchey's TTFontCell code, and I apologize because I can't find a link to it right now):

- (CGSize)sizeWithFont:(CGFontRef)font ofSize:(CGFloat)size withKerning:(CGFloat)kerning {
        CGContextRef context =  UIGraphicsGetCurrentContext();
        CGContextSetFont(context, font);
        CGContextSetFontSize(context, fontSize);
        CGContextSetCharacterSpacing(context, kerning);

The code works — however, it can only be called within a UIView's drawRect: method, for a valid context to be returned in UIGraphicsGetCurrentContext();

This method is only useful really if it can be called *before* the drawing code, for laying out views and such. I know that I need to create a CGContextRef and push it on the UIGraphics stack. My question is, what might be the best way to do this? I see I can use CGPDFContextCreate or CGBitmapContextCreate... which makes sense here? All I need to do is determine the size of a string w/ specified font, not actually draw it.

Thanks,

Michael Hoy
michael.john....@gmail.com