Ok google showed me a couple articles on how textviews within scrollviews dont work right.

so I tried to implement a bit of code but it still didnt work and I had to move the text view so that it was on the view screen from the start. That really cramped the style of the interface but for now its the only fix that seems to work. I tried what's below and also just plain [about setNeedsDisplay] in the delegate method below and no luck... Very frustrating.

-(void)scrollViewDidScroll:(UIScrollView*)scrollView
{
        for (UIView *childView in about.subviews)
        {
                [childView setNeedsDisplay];
        }
        for (UIView *childView in onlineAbout.subviews)
        {
                [childView setNeedsDisplay];