This all depends on the type of app you are. There are a couple of non 3.0 examples that are good.

Rolando uses to show the number of
Rolandos are left to be saved, if you are interrupted mid level.

Skype shows then number of open conversations.

These are two of the non-push non-apple examples that strike me.

Sent from my iPhone