On Jul 21, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Eric E. Dolecki wrote:

I'm a real noob when it comes to the UIScrollView. What I would like to do: I have a View that contains a UIScrollView. Instead of loading an image in there, what I would like to do is load in another view (say an image that's
a lot wider than the portrait iPhone... which has button sprinkled
throughout).

So the idea is you could pan around the view, and click on points of
interest in the image (using UIButtons or whatever). But I'm not quite sure how to set this up. I created a View XIB (no view controller) and put some
stuff in there.

NSArray *nibViews = [[NSBundle mainBundle] loadNibNamed:@"details"
owner:self options:nil];

UIView *infoView = [nibViews objectAtIndex:0];

[myScrollView addSubview:infoView];

This works, but I can't make the view wider than the iPhone portrait. How
should I handle this?

Right. You aren't supposed to make views larger than the screen (at least according to the docs). I assume that is to keep the layer sizes reasonable.

What you do is set the contentSize of the UIScrollView to be as large as you want. Then, in your delegate callbacks or UIScrollView subclass, you add/remove view tiles as needed to present a seamless view to the user. As tiles move offscreen you reuse them as new tiles on the opposite side.

Apple has a very nice tiled image view sample from WWDC 09 available online.

Dave