My error was that I changed a frame origin and forgot to accommodate the change by increasing the frame size of the superview, thereby clipping off the vertical scroll bar.

Ok - IB is a great tool with a few flaws. I love my new little compact car, but I use my Eurovan when I go camping, or need to have more than 4 people in the car, or need to bring something 6 feet long home from the store. Using IB requires a lot of coding effort to handle a dynamic number of subviews, and my experience was better with the programmatic approach. Dynamic sizes is beyond the scope of IB. It was suggested that I build the view tree with IB, but there is no tree until run-time when the number of windows and the numbers of tabs for the tab views are supplied. Also, I indicated that the frame of the workspace (the scroll view clip view is specified at run-time (or defaults-setting time) by the user. The Cocoa view hierarchy AP (and hence, IB) does not accommodate resizing from inside out without doing the same calculations I was doing.

I've successfully done before what I was trying to do here. I've also experimented with multiple instantiation of NIB's, and my experience was that it was harder to do and took longer to debug, especially with the undocumented side-effects I experienced.

A theological insistence on using IB where it is awkward to use is a kind of blind spot, too.

Long ago, when I was an electrical engineering student, a prof gave an exam with a problem which involved solving for the roots of a quadratic equation. We dutifully attacked the problem with our slide rules (no HP300's yet). We got bad answers because we failed to realize that the solution involved the difference of two nearly identical numbers which could not be entered with enough precision using results from our slide rules. We should have used a different technique in this case, but we were bent on using that wondrous tool - the slide rule.

Dale Miller
dalelmil...@cableone.net